TEN QUESTIONS WITH DVC VIKINGS CROSS COUNTRY KEVIN ORELLANA
1. Who/What got you interested in your sport and when did you start playing? The person who got me interested in Cross Country was my Physical Education teacher in high school, James Keck. During class, he would often make the class run a mile on the track. I wasn’t the fastest, but fortunately he saw the potential in me to succeed in this sport. In my sophomore year of high school, I decided to follow his advice and became part of my high school’s cross country team.
2. If you weren't playing your sport, what other sport would you want to play at the college level? If I weren’t participating in cross country, I would want to be part of a cycling team.
3. What makes your head coach the type of coach you love to play for? My head coach, Shelly Pierson, is the type of coach who will not only push you to become a better athlete, but she will also guide you to be a better person. Being a successful runner herself, she is very knowledgeable and will offer you everything that is at her disposal to positively impact your athletic career and personal growth.
4. What are you majoring in and what's your favorite class? I am majoring in computer science and my favorite class is chemistry.
5. What is your perfect pre-game meal? My perfect pre-game meal is Greek yogurt topped with granola, raisings, and honey.
6. What do you enjoy doing when you're not in school or playing your sport? When I am not in school or playing my sport, I enjoy playing guitar and serving at my church.
7. Favorite Movies? My two all time favorite movies are: 4-minute mile and La La Land
8. What are your first three songs on your pre-match playlist? The first three songs on my pre-match playlist are: King of My Heart by Steffany Gretzinger, Nuvole Bianche by Ludovico Einaudi, and Strength of a Thousand Men by Two steps from Hell
9. What is the plan once you graduate? Once I graduate, I plan on taking the same footsteps as my dad did and build my own technology company. Although I don’t know what kind of products or services my company will offer, I want it to make a positive impact on the environment and enhance people’s lives.
10. What is your leadership style? I believe that a leader is one who influences others by his/her actions. Instead of telling others what to do, a leader does the task at hand with excellence, so that others will see them as an example and be motivated to do the same. During the cross country season, I led by example. I tried to do every task that is required to be a good runner with excellence. These tasks include maintaining a good diet, keeping a good work ethic, and having a having a courageous mentality. Although I did not carry out all of these tasks perfectly, I made sure that I tried my best. I believe that my teammates saw this, and were motivated as well to try their best in checking all the boxes required to become a great runner.
Kevin was the 2017 Big 8 Conference Individual Champion, he finished 15th overall (20:43) in the State Championships, earning All-State Honorable Mention.