TEN QUESTIONS WITH JESSICA MENDEZ
1. Who/What got you interested in your sport and when did you start playing?
Before I started running XC and Track I was actually a soccer player. I grew up watching and playing it until about 8th grade. When I went to high school my freshman year I joined the track team because my friends and I at the time wanted to try something new. The moment I realized that running was my passion was after my first track meet because I had a really great team and I won my race so it was pretty exciting for me to experience racing and all that comes with it in one day.
2. If you weren't playing your sport, what other sport would you want to play at the college level?
Soccer as I grew up in a soccer household.
3. What makes your head coach the type of coach you love to play for?
So far I have had amazing coaches who have supported me and who really look out for me and have motivated me to continue running. Specifically for my coaches here at DVC Coach Shelly for XC and my distance coaches in Track have made my first 2 years of college running really special. I love running for them because they all tailor my workouts based on my strengths and weaknesses and we have established a really good relationship which I think is essential. They themselves ran in college so they understand what its like to be in my shoes and not only do they coach me in my running but they have helped me become a better person.
4. What are you majoring in and what's your favorite class?
5. What is your perfect pre-race meal?
CARBS! I usually go for a bowl of spaghetti with chicken and lots of bread.
6. What do you enjoy doing when you're not in school or playing your sport?
I like to spend time with my friends and family.
7. Favorite Movies?
9. What is the plan once you graduate from DVC and do you know where you are transferring? Will you be competing there?
I will be transferring to Cal State East Bay in the Fall and will be running XC and Track there as well.
10. What is your leadership style?
I definitely tend to be a really vocal leader. I like to know what is going on around with my team and I try to help out as much as I can. Leading by example is extremely important because you want people to look up to you for help or whatever they need.